Post title blog pager

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to 120 Kilopods, where I will be recording my efforts to see and capture on camera all 30,000+ known species of tetrapods. As well as all the amphibians, birds, mammals and reptiles I can find, this site will also feature other interesting things, biological or not, that I might encounter during my search.

Here are my basic rules:

  • Pics or it didn't happen. A photo taken by me, or someone present at the same time, must exist, and be of sufficient quality to identify the animal (with allowances for animals not readily identifiable to species level by sight).
  • Wild animals only. I'm not looking for animals in zoos, or pets. Exceptions: animals extinct in the wild - for obvious reasons; domesticated species - not domesticated forms of wild species, but domesticated forms that are considered distinct species; species with wild populations in inaccessible areas - e.g. areas closed for the protection of the species, military zones, etc. Just being off the beaten track doesn't count.
  • The count starts at zero. Only species seen after 00:00:00 UTC Tuesday March 15th 2011 will count toward my total.
  • Rules are made to be broken. Especially this one. In exceptional cases I might post species that break these rules, and any other rules I might add to the challenge. I'll explain my reasoning if and when that time comes. Feel free to challenge me if you think I'm breaching the spirit of the challenge, I'm happy to receive your feedback.
I'll end this post with a few brief thoughts:


  • I want this blog to be an interactive place. Please discuss and let me know what you impressions are, any rules you think should be added, species ID I've got wrong etc.
  • I'm letting this blog to grow organically. I'm not going to traipse around the blogosphere, shilling my wares. It might be slow to get moving, so if you've stumbled across the site and think it's quiet, then tell your friends. Or don't. I don't care.
  • I know how huge this task is. If I shoot and post a new species every day, it'll take over 80 years, and with more tetrapods being discovered every year, it's going to become even bigger. The ongoing Holocene extinction is working in the other direction, but I can only hope my job isn't made significantly easier for this reason.


That's all for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment